The Museum is happy to receive originals or copies of photographs from the district, and assist with ‘putting names to faces’ for historians with old family albums. The reverse also applies!
Some unusual shots in our collection are below…
Village Blacksmith, Dartmoor [circa 1910] – location within township, and men unknown
Dartmoor Store [and Post Office] [circa 1950] – One of a few stores that existed in Dartmoor, the one on this site operated for just on 100 years. Pictured is the last owner, Fred Smith doing milk delivery rounds in the early 1970s [Photo donated by Richard Barrows 2010]
1872 – 1890: Land purchased by George Greenham [Senior] in November 1872. By early 1874 the buildings had been completed and the store was operated by him until his death in 1890.
1890 – 1903: Alice Greenham, unmarried daughter of George took over the management of the store.
1903 – 1913: Angus McLean [Junior] leased premises.
1913 – 1916: Purchased by Ethel and Lydia Smith, Mumbannar presumably following the death of Mary Greenham in late 1911, widow of George. The store also became an agency for the State Savings Bank in 1913.
1916 – 1918: Purchased by Len Righetti, Heywood, and managed initially by Arthur Wapling.
1918 – 1939: Operated by the Wapling family between the World Wars. [A weighbridge at the front of the shop was emplaced in the mid 1930’s as Arthur Wapling was an agent for Vary Brothers Tanners, North Melbourne who purchased wattle-bark. The bark was crushed after weighing by a converted chaff-cutter at a shed near the railway station.] The Wapling parents retired to Essendon in May 1939 when a huge farewell was organised in the Hall. A poem was recited that ended…”And in the records of Dartmoor this should go down, That a mighty white couple have left the town”. Son Fred, owned the business briefly trading mainly as a butcher before selling it to enlist in the AIF.
1939 – 1947: Purchased by J D McIntyre [died 1953] and leased by Jack Errey in June 1939, who joined the AIF in 1941. [His enlistment became an editorial opportunity in the local paper…”Brother Dave [Errey] is overseas with a forestry unit. Both have young families and have sacrificed good businesses and everything they possess, while young, eligible, single men still fail to recognise the path of duty. This is where conscription, which is advocated strongly by the Returned Soldiers’ League would remedy the injustice.”]
Store then leased to HFW Stores chain initially with Norm Beavis from Heywood as Manager. Other managers in this period for short times were Wally Logan [who joined the Navy in 1942 and Charlie Gustus. Another employee was Les Martin, who enlisted in the Navy and served on the HMAS Quickmatch in the Indonesian archipelago. [In 1947/48 the Erreys moved a short distance to a new home with post office attached, where Betty Errey operated the postal and telephone services.]
1947 – 1952: Operated by Reg Allwood who came from a grocery business in Heywood, and then moved to Portland where he died suddenly in 1953.
1952 – 195?: Lease purchased by Jack [Ripper] Spencer early in the year.
195? – 1953: Mr Dyson?
1953 – 1962: Leased by Gordon Hughes and a new extension added to front of store by 1955.
1962 – mid 1970s: Owned by Fred Smith who sold drapery and general goods, and ran a milk delivery service from the store.
Mid 1970s – Private residence